The therapy of advanced forms of nail fungus lasts more than a year. However, in the initial stage, the disease can be treated more quickly. To do this, varnishes were created from nail fungus on the hands and feet.
Treatment of nails affected by fungus with varnish: indications and approach
Antifungal varnish is a tool that has recently gained importance in the fight against nail fungus in the early stages of infection, namely in cases where the plaque is less than 50% damaged.
The tool is convenient and practical: unlike oils, it does not rub and does not wash off after drying.
However, antifungal nail polish is shown only in 2 cases:
- In the initial stage of the disease, when up to 30% of the plaque is affected and no more than 3 nails on one foot, arm. With wider and deeper foci, antifungal tablets cannot be dispensed.
- For the prevention of onychomycosis. The coating reliably protects the nails from re-infection.
The drug can be prescribed for self-therapy or as part of a complex treatment.
How does antifungal varnish work?
Spray for the treatment of nail fungus on the feet and hands has a liquid structure, is quickly absorbed and penetrates even into microcracks. The active substance begins to destroy the cell membrane, enzymes and spores of the pathogen. After solidification, the coating blocks the plaque, preventing the flow of oxygen. Left without the basis of vital activity, the fungi cease to multiply and gradually die.
Mycologists also prescribe a fungus prevention drug, especially for people with excessive sweating and after acrylic extensions. The resulting protective film prevents the entry of moisture, fungi, infections on the nails. In addition, alcohol, oils and plant extracts in the composition are disinfected and dried.
Effectiveness of treatment
Nail fungus varnishes are effective only for the prevention and treatment of onychomycosis in the initial stage. The drug forms a protective layer, quickly eliminates the infection and prevents the appearance of a new one. Complete recovery occurs after 3 months of therapy, the first results are visible after 7-10 days.
A few weeks after the end of treatment, it is necessary to do tests. A lab test will show if the infection is completely eliminated and if a second course is needed.
Before buying a product, consult a mycologist or dermatologist. The specialist will assess the extent and depth of the lesion, determine the stage, and prescribe a suitable spray for toenail or hand fungus.
How to apply nail polish in the treatment of nail fungus?
The frequency of use of a particular tool is indicated in the instructions. As a rule, in the first month the nails are varnished once in 2 days, in the second - twice a week, in the third - once a week. Therapy is carried out until the growth of a healthy dish.
Spray against toenail fungus is applied according to the following scheme:
- Preliminary processing. Before treatment, feet or hands are steamed in a salt bath, washed thoroughly with soap and water. Then wipe dry surfaces and perform a hygienic pedicure or manicure. The nails are cut, the top layer is polished with a nail file and wiped with alcohol.
- Application of funds. Nail polish from the fungus is applied with a brush or spatula to dry tiles. The actions are performed slowly and carefully so as not to damage the surrounding skin. In this case, the composition should cover the entire nail area.
- After processing. The applied medicine should not be removed until the next procedure. However, after 10 minutes, after complete drying, decorative varnish can be applied to the healing varnish. If the manufacturer allows this option is indicated in the instructions.
Therapeutic nail polish from the fungus is not absorbed into the bloodstream and can not provoke intoxication. However, the drug is contraindicated in:
- individual intolerance to ingredients;
- tendency to allergic reactions;
- increased skin sensitivity;
- children under 16;
- pregnancy and lactation.
Varnishes are carefully prescribed in diabetes mellitus, diseases of the immune system.
Spray for the treatment of nail and hand fungus rarely causes adverse reactions. In case of accidental skin contact, the following may occur:
If an allergic reaction occurs, it is worth choosing an analogue with another active substance.
Careful! Nail fungus spray reduces the effectiveness of combined contraceptives.
After a complete recovery, the patient is often infected again with the fungus. To avoid recurrence, it is necessary to cover the nails with varnish within a month after the end of the treatment.
Proper attention should be paid to hygiene: wash feet and hands daily, change socks, dry shoes. Towels and slippers should be individual.
Remember: even the best nail fungus nail polish requires regular application. Without re-treatment, the dressing will gradually wash off. As a result, there will be favorable soil for the development of fungi.
In conclusion, it should be said that in case of symptoms of nail damage from a fungal infection, and especially if this is accompanied by favorable factors, you should seek qualified medical help.
Creating experiments with self-selection of therapy tools will not only not help in any way, but will also worsen the existing situation. Receiving a gift in the form of a mold on the nails is very simple, but it is quite difficult to cure. Therapy requires a long time and is often complex, so you should not start the course of the disease with self-medication.